Search This Blog

Friday, February 5, 2010

Not All That Special

Growing up I somehow got the idea that I was special...really special. SO special that I probably could have given uniqueness a new meaning. Well, of course everyone is special and unique in their own way...but can you imagine a family, an office, a classroom, a community of perpetually UNIQUE persons. I could be pretty chaotic.

Everyone would feel entitled to special priveleges. Everyone would always fight to be first or center stage. Everyone would want to lead and no one would want to follow. Everyone would insist on their own way or not participate at all. There would be no room for team players here. I think you get the idea.

Benedict in the 8th Step of Humility suggests a system by which there is one designated leader and all do only what is prescribed by the superior. In this system there is order and cohesion.

I am grateful that I do not always consider myself perpetually unique anymore. I have found that my own uniqueness comes out best in working as part of a team.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment