Search This Blog

Monday, May 3, 2010

Being Roused From Sleep

Let us get up then, at long last, for the Scriptures rouse us when they say: It is high time for us to arise from sleep (Rom 13:11). (RB80. Prologue.8)

I am definitely a morning person....but not a hyper morning person. There are some who jump out of bed as soon as their eyes open and they meet the day at a run. There are some of us who despise mornings entirely. Some, like me, prefer to ease into the morning. It is generally best that no one see me for the first hour or so after I wake up or, at least, until I have plenty of coffee in my system. I love to take my time in the morning--shaking off sleep and easing into the day; before I jump into the day.

This verse from the Prologue resonates with me because I am familiar with the time just after waking when it takes me a few minutes to understand that someone is speaking to me. I wake up in a fog of sorts that requires some time to disolve. In a sense, Benedict is saying that we all live in that foggy stage of half-sleep when we are searching for God in all the wrong places...or just searching for meaning in our lives. The Prologue calls us to shake off the last bit of sleep and turn to face God and the sun/Son today and everyday.

May I always be awake to God's presence in my life.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment