Search This Blog

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Unhesitating Obedience




…they walk according to another’s decisions and directions…(RB80.5.12)

I never seem to stop being amazed and edified at the manner in which some of my sisters accept what the superior asks of them. It is not difficult to accept an assignment in the profession in which you are already trained, but it is most difficult to accept an assignment in a profession for which you are untrained and for which you have no desire to enter. But my friends—Sr Assumpta and Sr Scholastica were asked to do that. They were asked to be teachers. Sr Assumpta wanted to spend time on the farm with the chickens, cows and the garden; Sr Scholastica was a carpenter of sorts and an artist with many talents. But both put aside their concerns and their own will and prepared to be teachers. Both spent some 20+ years in the classroom: Sr Assumpta with 1st graders and Sr Scholastica with art classes. Both are among our most successful and beloved teachers. Sr Assumpta is teaching 1st graders in heaven now, but Sr Scholastica is still among us using her carpentry and artistic talents.

They both “walked according to another’s decisions and directions” and God blessed them and our community for doing so.


Sr. Veronica, OSB

2 comments:

  1. I can honestly say that I have never met a more gracious lady than my Godmother and aunt, Sister Scholastica Reagan. She is a gem and a true servant of God. Thank you for your kind words about her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sister Scholastica is my aunt and a wonderful person. She not only is talented in many ways but has so many other characteristics such as the ability to make each perosn feel they are special. She has been through many sad times but always manages to keep a smile on her face. Actually when I think about it....she manages to cheer everyone up...as my brother Tim says..."she is a true servant of God". I am luckey to be her niece!!!

    ReplyDelete