Search This Blog

Monday, May 10, 2010

The Strongest Kind of Monks

Most will tell you that one of the best things about Community Life is the people. They might say that one of the most difficult things about Community Life is also the people. It's not that our communities, teams, or families are filled with challenging personalities...it's more that in interacting with others I can begin to see pieces of myself reflected back. I begin to see areas of necessary growth and places where I can stretch a little further for the other.

This growth and stretching though necessary are not usually easy experiences. I remember being very hesitant about confrontations when I was a new community member. I would roll issues over in my mind for days, weeks or months rather than say anything. Then I realized that if I didn't do anything about the little issues then I would not have the practice needed for handling bigger matters. The first couple of times were uncomfortable for me but slowly I learned how to address issues more maturely. I have grown and my relationship with others has been strengthened.

This is probably why Benedict call cenobites (those who live in community under a Rule and a Superior) the strongest kind of monastics. It is in learning to interact daily that we mature and are strengthened.

No comments:

Post a Comment