Search This Blog

Thursday, May 13, 2010

To Love All Equally

Therefore, the abbot is to show equal love to everyone and apply the same discipline to all according to their merits. (RB80.2.22)

When people ask mothers which of their children they love most or is their favorite, mothers will generally reply that they love all the same but for different reasons. Yet all are still loved the same. Never having been a parent I kind of get what this means but I don't really understand.

I know that growing up, I needed the assurance from parents, teachers, coaches that I was doing a good job and that I was loved. I just seemed to crave it more than most. When I did something wrong or disobeyed, even just a look of displeasure was enough to send me into wails of tears and drama. Actually disappointment in me and my behavior was usually the worst punishment.

Benedict, today, invites the superior of the community to love all in equal measure and to discipline according to the situation. One size fits all leadership and discipline will not work--what will not even faze one person might cause another to be tramatized.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment