Search This Blog

Friday, May 7, 2010

Preparing for the Race

...we must run and do now what will profit us forever. (RB80.Prol. 44)

I am very competitive and I am generally successful in competitions. For me, my success is mostly luck rather than skill and training.

When I was younger, the thing that distinguished me from being a good student and a superior one was the amount of time and effort placed on studying. If I could get an A by listening, guessing well, and knowing how to talk or write myself out of any difficult question--why bother studying? Consequently, I would get the A's but not the A+s, which unfortunately held the scholarships and great prizes.

Now, I am being faced with running and putting into practice those principles which will eventually profit me in the end. Running sounds a little too sweaty and strenuous for me. I would much rather consider the requirement and slowly put them into practice after much sincere consideration. Obviously, that is not Benedict's plan. What are the practices to which he is alluding here? They are God's commands from before: seek peace, love good not evil, be sincere, always have the truth in my heart, and seek God. Can I live by these? The way to show that I am willing to live by these is to make an immediate change with God's grace. It will not be easy but it can be done.

I pray always to be willing to follow God's plan for me.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment