Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Reverse Psychology

I am convinced that my parents went through immense personality changes from the time I was growing up to the time my sister, the youngest was born (about 15 years).

A few years ago, I was visiting my family and my mom asked my sister if she thought she could do the dishes. The dishes were overflowing onto every available inch of counter space. My sister, quite honestly, answered "No." This response left my mother speechless and me wondering what had happened to my mom. I could not imagine saying that when I was younger. Actually, I did not remember there being a question mark at the end of the statement before.

I stepped in and told my sister that if the dishes were washed we could go to a movie. (Admittedly, not the best incentive, but it worked.) The dishes were finished shortly after our talk.

Benedict uses calling all to counsel (hearing from all) as a way to get everyone to feel ownership for a groups decisions. We all like to feel that we had some choice in the matter even if it might be a small one. Through listening to all and letting them have an ownership in the final outcome, we call all feel that we are part of shaping our future.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment