Search This Blog

Friday, May 28, 2010

Playing Hide and Seek

...let him recall that he is always seen by God in heaven, that his actions everywhere are in God’s sight and are reported by angels at every hour. (RB80.7.13)

Playing hide and seek was one of my favorite games as a child. I liked the challenge of finding creative places to hide--often almost in plain sight. My size and my ability to blend in with my environment helped with this.

As I grew older, I found new ways of playing this game. I began looking for ways to hide from God; especially if it felt like God was wanting to get my attention or if God had a message that I did not particularly want to receive. I figured if I made myself hard to find by getting really busy, skipping my prayer time, arguing with God, or any number of other ways I would not be able to hear God and God would give up on me. WRONG!!!

What I usually found when I was willing to listen is that I had been fighting a hopeless battle against my own good anyway. I really should have paid attention in the beginning and saved my energy. God did have my best interest at heart.

I try not to play hide and seek as much these days. What are the games you play with God? What do they gain for you?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment