Search This Blog

Friday, May 14, 2010

Pulling Weeds

Today, in Benedict's list of qualities needed in the superior, he uses the image of pulling out faults by the roots while they are still young and tender. I can relate to this image because I have always been fascinated with the length and strength of dandelion roots. Some roots seem to go on forever and tend to be interconnected. Once the root system has been established it is very difficult to remove the weeds.

I find weeds in my life sometimes. Rather than dandelions, my "weeds" tend to be pride, stubbornness, anger, gossip, etc. If I stop when I recognize these tendencies and plan how I can back out of these habits life goes much easier for me.

I pray daily for the self-awareness, humility and wisdom to do my necessary weeding.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment