Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

A Good Example Will Do

Furthermore, anyone who receives the name of abbot is to lead his disciples by a twofold teaching: he must point out to them all that is good and holy more by example than by words, proposing the commandments of the Lord to receptive disciples with words, but demonstrating God’s instructions to the stubborn and the dull by a living example. (RB80.2.11-12)


In speaking about leadership, Benedict took into account the strengths and weaknesses of the team members. Some might learn better by looking at the instructions, some by hearing an explanation, some by experimenting on their own, and some by following an example. Benedict warned the superior to be prepared for all types of learners among his disciples; adapting as necessary.

I have found that the best way for me to learn is through experimentation and questioning when stuck. My tendency when finding a new gadget or encountering a problem is to jump in first and start working with what I can figure out. My younger sister, Juli, is an instruction person. She looks at manuals and reads all the directions (even the fine print) before getting started. We both are pretty successful at getting our goals met. So there are benefits to both approaches.

Benedict invites the leader to use instruction for some and a good, lived example for those that need it. That way more will understand what is taught.

I pray that I will remember to be both an example and an instructor for others through my life.

Sr. Catherine, OSB


No comments:

Post a Comment