Search This Blog

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Keeping Guard Over Self

While he guards himself at every moment from sins and vices of thought or tongue, of hand or foot, of self-will or bodily desire, let him recall that he is always seen by God in heaven, that his actions everywhere are in God’s sight and are reported by angels at every hour. (RB80.7.12-13)

Growing up, it seemed that every time I did something wrong or thought of doing something that was wrong (but seemed exciting or fun) there would be someone watching to report me to the teacher, the principal, my parents, the hall monitor... At the time, it seemed that I was destined for a life of boredom.

As I grew older and have reflected on some of my former ideas for fun, I have realized that while it might have been fun for a minute, I could have been putting my life at risk. From this perspective, although I never got to climb our neighbors cool, 7 foot fence that had doberman pincers on the other side, and I never got to cross the 6 lane busy street by myself at 5 yrs old...I did get to mature and understand that those might not have been my wisest options. And ultimately, there were people watching over me and protecting me because they love me.

God is like that. Although I have free will, I also have a very clear awareness that God is always watching me--not to punish and make life boring but to protect and show love. To me that is comforting. I like that image of God.

May I always remember that God is watching.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment