Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Fear of the Lord

Fear of the Lord seems to be foundational to the development of wisdom. I am very familiar with fear. After all, growing up I had fear of: the dark, the sounds animals made in the canyons, being forgotten or left somewhere, crowds, gangs, falling,...fear, fear, fear. I had so much fear that at times it paralyzed me.

The fear that Benedict is talking about in "fear of the Lord" is not that type of fear. It is not a fear that binds me to my imagination and the confines of myself but one that opens up possibilities and frees me for life. This fear, in my mind, is similar to awe, reverence, and wonder. It is a sense of who God is, who I am in God's presence and who I am not. It is finding God everywhere.

I pray for the ability to always see God in life.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment