Search This Blog

Monday, May 17, 2010

Family Meetings

As often as anything important is to be done in the monastery, the abbot shall call the whole community together and himself explain what the business is; and after hearing the advice of the brothers, let him ponder it and follow what he judges the wiser course,...

Benedict advices that whenever there is important business to be addressed all are to be called together to discuss the matter. Everyone, from the oldest to the youngest, is to be included. This directive makes sense to me because since the decision will probably affect my future in some way, I want to be included. I like to know what is happening around me.

Culture and society might question, however, why include the older and the younger; why include everyone. The older might seem a little unwieldy to deal with. For example, they might need more information or they might not be as anxious as the younger to jump at change. The younger might seem to lack the maturity or experience necessary to provide meaningful insight. They might, however, bring in a new perspective or ask incisive questions. Including everyone could potentially prolong the process since the more views expressed the longer the discussion will last.

Central to this advice is the fact that the more the members are involved in planning the future, the more ownership and commitment that is likely to be expressed. If I feel like I helped design my own future, I will be more invested and engaged in the success of the project. Benedict's wisdom is in finding a way in which all can be engaged in decision making for the group.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment