Search This Blog

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Community Rank

In many ways, Benedict tried to form a classless society. A group where your former status in life (wealth, power, prestige) had little to do with your new form of life. This was a way in which the rich and poor could interact daily, the noble and the peasant could work side by side and enemies could share a table and not be aware of former differences. In some cases, this could be valuable to keep physical peace.

There needed to be some way of putting a neutral order to community and that was rank. Persons were placed in order according to their date of arrival. Once the order was established the only way of moving up or down was based on the person's behaviour. Habitually good behaviour and an exemplary life could raise one's status. Consistent exhibits of pride, disobedience or vices could move a person down.

Although rank is not as prominent these days for setting place in community, I need to remember that my own choices can help raise me in virtue or bring me down in vice. I need to ask myself daily, how am I living in God's grace today?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment