Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

On Clothing

I grew up as a clothes horse. Growing up my closets were filled to bursting with outfits of every color, texture and description. What I could not wear was handed down to younger cousins, in almost new condition. I could not imagine a life without clothes being the thing that defined me and my personality.

In entering our monastic community, I really did not encounter clothing to be the issue that I thought it might be. When I entered our community, I discovered that the bond and the attachment I had to our community and to our way of life far surpassed the thought of not being able to wear a rainbow of colors daily. I found that God's love and my awareness of that and my desire to pray and serve within this group actually made everything worthwhile.

As I have matured in community, I have come to realize that our choice of simple dress and a veil not only simplify our life but also provide a unifying symbol for our society that we are different. It speaks of the values that we hold and also invites a conversation among people of who we are. There is a value to this differentness.

I pray to continue being a witness within our world of who we are.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment