Search This Blog

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Taking Care of the Crew

The leader of the group (parent, Abbot, Prioress, captain, coach) is to be aware of the needs of the entire team. That person is to make sure that there is no undue distress, worry or concern about the necessary items for life. The leader is to see that all concerns are address in a timely fashion. This responsibility is very important for Benedict since he reminds the superior once again that at judment time he will be responsible for any stress caused due to neglect.

This passage reminds me of my tendency to hold on to things even when I don't need them sometimes if I am concerned that I might run out soon. I might save that squeezed-flat tube of toothpaste or the almost dried out pen in case it might come in handy in an emergency. Benedict knew about that tendency and tried to curtail it by having one person be concerned about the necessaries. It makes life more simple when I don't get involved in thinking of all the potential issues that might arise in the future and how to make sure that I have enought to survive.

Benedict was also inviting the community members to rely more on God and God's providence--after all, I don't have to do everything myself every time.

May I continue to grow in my awareness of God's care.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment