Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Remembering Who I Am

If I give myself the chance, I can often find many little things that set my teeth on edge. ( I have many qualities that probably drive others wild also.) When I was younger, I would fantasize about what I thought would remedy most of these edgy moments. Fantasize as I might, I am very grateful that I was never able to implement my solutions.

Chapter 70 in the Rule of Benedict talks about the presumption of harshly correcting one's peers. It is not about the proper use of authority because the concept of peer implies that all are at the same level--these are my age cohort, my co-workers, my teammates. If I forget that we are all basically the same, then I tend to become bossy, judgemental and over-bearing. That is not the same as the use of authority. I need to remember to be as forgiving of others and their faults as others are of me. I need to remember that I am not the BOSS of everything, all the time.

May I have the humility required to remember my place in community (all of my communities) and to graciously forgive others as they have forgiven me many times.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment