Search This Blog

Monday, April 19, 2010

On Naming

There is power in a name.



I remember growing up that I could always tell whether I was in trouble by the way my parents called my name. There was a particular form of my name they used that can still strike fear in my heart. There was also a way of calling me that would calm me down if I was extra nervous or anxious.



Today, Benedict talks about people, names and forms of respect in Chapter 63 of the Rule. Benedict reminds us to strive to be the first to show respect and reverence to the other person. This is yet another way in which our acting should be different from the world's way. I am invited to show respect, reverence and care for the others even in the way that I address them.



May I always remember to show the same respect for others that I would like shown to me.



Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment