Search This Blog

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Building Strong Relationships

Let him strive to be loved rather than feared. (RB80.64.15)

Many have heard the old saying, "You can draw more flies with honey than with vinegar." This short sentence from the Rule on the election of leadership seems to take a similar view.

It is much easier for me to follow the advice of someone that I consider to be on my side, looking out for my interest rather than a tyrant or dictator. The trust that has been developed in the past serves as a strong backdrop for current relationships.

I have been fortunate to have leaders that I treasure as dear friends and that I truly respect. This relationship makes it much easier to accept correction from them--because I sense that they love me and care about me also.

When I find myself in leadership as either a teacher, a team leader, or a supervisor I strive to build a strong relationship with my colleagues first, then work from their. I try to remember what a treasure their trust is to me and to be worthy of that honor.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment