Search This Blog

Friday, August 6, 2010

A Transforming Moment

Twenty-six years ago today, our community accepted three young women into the monastic community. The same thing happened the following year, again on August 6, the Feast of the Transfiguration. I was in the second group of three that entered.

In my twenty-something mind, I remember being scared as the entrance hour approached ("What am I getting myself into?") and excited since this was a new adventure. I looked at my classmates and assessed their ability to sticking it out forever (I was pretty naive and idealistic at that time.). I recall looking around and being amazed at the many women of faith that I saw around me--wondering if I would ever "grow up to be like them."

Twenty-five years later, much of the initial glow and excitement has settled into dailiness yet I never cease to be amazed at the women that I live with daily. I thank God for the gift of community and for God's gift of fidelity to our monastic way of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment