Search This Blog

Friday, August 13, 2010

On Oblation--Offering Oneself

The dictionary defines oblation as:
  • the offering to God of the elements of bread and wine in the Eucharist;
  • the whole office of the Eucharist;
  • the act of making an offering, esp. to a deity;
  • any offering for religious or charitable uses.

Using these definitions, it seems that all of life need be an oblation (an offering to God of love with my whole self).

It's a good thought but how is it lived out in real life? How do I propose to live in God's presence day after day?

Here are a few thoughts:

  • training myself to make God my first thought and my last thought daily. Thanking God for the day--when I feel like reaching for the snooze button on the alarm clock and thanking God for blessings when I turn off my light at night.
  • remembering to place myself on the altar as an offering with the Bread and Wine at Eucharist--and bringing all of my concerns to place on the altar also.
  • going out of my way (out of my comfort zones) to be present to those around me when they need someone just to be present. Being truly present to others rather than just being physically present.
  • remembering God's presence at various times throughout the day (raising my awareness of God's divine presence daily).

These are just a few practical ways in which I can remember to unite myself and my life to God daily.

What are some ways that you can do the same?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment