Search This Blog

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Hospitality to Self

There are three types of hospitality to which everyone is called--hospitality to others, God and self. By far, I have often found hospitality with self to be the most difficult.

Growing up with a sense that since I was older and stronger than my sibs, I was expected to serve others well before I considered myself, it was easy for me to think that my needs were not really all that important. It would amaze my parents that I could actually be generous and gracious with rest of the family helping with tasks and not really complaining much. When it came to self-care and doing things for myself I would be at a loss of where to start or what to do or just didn't have any energy or enthusiasm left.

The situation has not changed much in adulthood. I will spend myself emotionally and physically for others, then forget to replenish my stock.

I need to remember that I need that hospitality for myself first so that I have that base of hospitality from which to serve and love others.

May I remember that there are three hospitalities that are important in life.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment