Search This Blog

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Distribution of Goods

Chapter 55 of the Rule uses the following sentence from the Acts of the Apostles as its starting point: "distribution was made to each according as anyone had need" (Acts 4:35). This sentence implies that every person will receive what is needed not necessarily what is wanted. Although I am generally clear on the difference between my needs and my desires, I do get confused at times and will often look around to see what others have that I don't.

Why does my neighbor get an upgraded cell phone when I have the same one I've had for the last five years?

Why do I only have two pairs of shoes when everyone else seems to have at least four?

Why does this person always seem to be excused from table dishes and cooking while some of us are on the schedule more frequently?

It is always best to keep my heart and mind centered on what I need not on what I find so appealing that others might have--more gadgets, more time, better clothes. I have found that often with these "more" things that I envy comes more responsibilities and more headaches.

May I always remember the difference between needs and wants.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment