Search This Blog

Monday, August 9, 2010

Sharing at Table

When I first entered community, table conversation was one of the skills that I was definitely lacking in me. I totally missed the point of conversation and sharing at table. I came from a family that although we were physically present for every meal together it was often much easier to eat rapidly and in silence (less arguments among siblings and less unpleasant encounters).

When I entered community, most of my conversation skills were weak. I did not know how to make "small talk" and it really did not make a whole lot of sense to me since it seemed like politeness without a purpose. Since then, I have worked at learning the art of table conversation--not always successfully.

Table conversation and real listening are skills that are hard to establish. I need to work on those everyday and make slow progress. I need to be okay with baby steps as frustrating as they might appear.

May I always be willing to learn new skills.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment