Search This Blog

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Suscipe

After he has put it there [the vows document], the novice himself begins the verse: Receive me, Lord, as you have promised, and I shall live; do not disappoint me in my hope (Ps 118[119]: 116). The whole community repeats the verse three times, and adds "Glory be to the Father." (RB80 58. 21-22)

Suscipe...receive me. What does it take for me to trust God completely with my life?

The above passage from the Rule of Benedict is used as part of the final profession ceremony--when we entrust our lives to God forever (or at least for the next few minutes). I know that it was a permanent commitment that was made on that July morning in 1990 at my profession ceremony. And at that moment, I probably thought that it was a once and forever deal. I was still pretty idealistic about lots of things in those days.

Now, after twenty years of living this life and the dailiness of it, I realize that a daily (sometimes hourly) reaffirmation of that commitment needs to take place within me. I need to remind myself of the goodness of this life (especially when there are doubts or questions in my mind or I lose my focus--which sometimes happens). I need to recall what first drew me here and how that has matured into the reasons I consider this life valuable. It is good for me to reflect on life often.

May I continue to renew my commitment to our life daily.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment