Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

What Do You Seek?

What do you seek?

This question which is taken from the ceremony for entrance into our monastic community is a life long question. Chapter 58 of the Rule which addresses the reception of new members into community touches on the central question for monastic life.

What do you seek?

  • It is that seeking and yearning for God which sustained me through the hard days of initial formation.
  • That desire is what has seen me through times of doubt and pain when I've wondered why I came in the first place.
  • It is that relationship with God (and with my Sisters) which is nourished daily through our common prayer and lectio.
  • It is that feeling of open welcome that first drew me to this community.

Ultimately, seeking God daily is what makes this life viable. It is the distinctive element that sets this life apart for me.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment