Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

A Place of Prayer

The oratory ought to be what it is called, and nothing else is to be done or stored there. After the Work of God, all should leave in complete silence and with reverence for God, so that a brother who may wish to pray alone will not be disturbed by the insensitivity of another. (RB80.52.1-3)

Reading this section from Chapter 52 of the Rule seems like a "no brainer" to me. Of course, the place of prayer needs to be just that (a place of prayer).

When I think though of how "familiar" and relaxed I might become with my prayer this selection carries a different message. How often to I show up to community prayers in body only? How often am I preplanning my next event rather than really present to prayer, God and to community? How many times lately have I foregone or shortened my lectio time to get I more task done?

Prayer is an activity that requires my full attention and participation. May I always desire to grow in my prayer relationship.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment