Search This Blog

Friday, August 20, 2010

Leading By Word and Deed

Goodness of life and wisdom in teaching must be the criteria for choosing the one to be made abbot, even if he is the last in community rank. (RB80.64.2)

Parents are often criticized for leading their families with a "Do as I say, not as I do" attitude. It seems more than a little incongruous for a leader to say one thing and then act in a manner opposite to the teaching. Children tend to be sponges who absorb their environment much more than follow straight teaching--even when it seems that they are not really paying attention.

I am a good example of this theory. Growing up, I made it a point to appear as though I really did not care about anything and that I was not paying attention to life around me. Secretly, though, I was assessing everything I saw and passing judgement on all. I was also learning by watching everything carefully.

The things that stick out in my mind the most are the examples of lived faith that I saw in our household. Although we did not speak about religion, church and belief much growing up, I watched my parents and grandparents care deeply for the needy and the stranger. I saw multiple examples of compassion as my parents took on various local and world wide causes--either through awareness raising or through actual charitable works. I was fortunate to get a world wide education through my travels with my grandparents as a child.

All of these things became part of my own lived faith as I matured and have served me well in ministry and in life. We cannot underestimate the value of lived faith as an example for others.

How am I reflecting God's love today?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment