Search This Blog

Friday, August 27, 2010

Defending Another

Every precaution must be taken that one monk does not presume in any circumstance to defend another in the monastery or to be his champion, even if they are related by the closest ties of blood. RB80.69.1-2

I have always been a person with a strong sense of justice and right. Even in grade school I would regularly be found trying to defend those who seemed to be marginalized. Now Benedict seems to be calling me not to defend others, even those closest to me. Maybe, I am being invited to view community and justice in a new way.

Division and factions can be the enemy of any cohesive group. By taking sides and fiercely defending my own views, cause or faction, I can unthinkingly destroy unity and community spirit. By forcing people to choose sides, I can cause a separation from leadership and our true goals; sometimes causing irreparable damage. In my quest for right, I might destroy community.

I need to look at my motivation in embracing a certain thought or defending a person or idea. Is it for the good of the entire group? May I always be able to see beyond my own perspective to the good of the group.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment