Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Disturbing My Sense of Order and Justice

In the monastery, they should keep to their ranks as established by the time of entry, merit of life or the abbot’s arrangement. (RB80.63.1)

Benedict is pretty clear about what factors are considered in ordering the members of the community (the monastic version of lining folks up in some kind of order). The three criteria used are time of entry (who got here first?), merit of life (who sets a good example? who knows how to behave well?) and leader's discretion (although that seems to be the weakest element--since it could be considered favoritism). Benedict intends his followers to be able to maintain some kind of order using these directives.

It doesn't take very long working with a group before I start looking around and comparing my position with others.

  • Why is that person always first?
  • Why does my coworker seem to get more benefits than me?
  • Why is my teammate always consulted about things?
  • Why does she always get to have lunch with the popular people?

I think you get the point...

I have found that the more attention I pay to others and what is happening with them the more isolated, dissatisfied, and uncomfortable I become. It is a good sign that I might need to turn my gaze inward, towards my own work rather than at what is happening around me. I need to remember that often because what is happening with others can seem so interesting at times.

What or who am I focusing on today?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment