Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Monastery Artists

Monasteries are places of art, peace and creativity. They are spaces where the freedom to be spontaneous, avant garde and innovative is treasured. Monasteries have many talented people associated with them--poets, painters, sculptors, musicians, just to name a few.

Benedict was well aware of the gifted-ness of his community and of future generations of monastics. In Chapter 57 of the Rule, Benedict reminds us that all art needs to be practiced with humility. The gift which God has bestowed on me is not for my use alone or to add glory and fame to my name but to benefit others and to add due glory to God and his graciousness. I need to remember that of myself I would have no talent--it is a product of God's generosity to me.

May I always remember to thank God for the bounty of graces and gifts bestowed upon me and share these gifts generously.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment