Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Hospitality--Accepting All as Christ

Great care and concern are to be shown in receiving poor people and pilgrims, because in them more particularly Christ is received; our very awe of the rich guarantees them special respect. RB80.53.15

Hospitality is one of the monastic values that I took to quite easily as a young Sister. Afterall, I am an extrovert and enjoy spending time visiting with people and making them feel comfortable. In my time in community, I have had various opportunities to practice hospitality and to gain deeper insight into its meaning.

For about 7 years, I was fortunate to work at a social service agency that emphasized the dignity of all people and encouraged all to treat others with equal respect--whether client, staff, volunteer, etc. During my years there I made it a point to try to connect with as many of the regular clients and volunteers as I could. I would try to remember something specific about the person as well we their name. When I saw these people coming to our offices, I made it a point to ask them about whatever was significant about them. Many were amazed that I would recall facts about their lives. For me, it just seemed part of the ministry of hospitality--meeting Christ in the other, no matter what the disguise. I have continued to carry on this habit in my personal life.

How is Christ coming to me today? Who does Christ look like? How can I best respond to Christ in my life?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment