Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Protecting Your Soul

The monastery should, if possible, be so constructed that within it all necessities, such as water, mill and garden are contained, and the various crafts are practiced. Then there will be no need for the monks to roam outside, because this is not at all good for their souls. RB80.66.7-8

Benedict envisioned a monastic complex which would be self-sufficient. There would be little need, if any, to leave the property to take care of the needs of the members. That probably was reasonable in the 6th century but is highly improbable in the 21st.

So...how does a person maintain the focus of monastic values even as they navigate the daily challenges of life in our world. Part of the answer, I think, is in remembering that we are meant to be in the world but not necessarily of the world. We are to function within the parameters of society but also show a different response to the events around us. We are called to be radically counter-cultural.

  • Where society might encourage us to value a person for their productivity, I am to take time to listen to the old and the young, the sick, the weak, the poor....and value their insights.
  • When my natural tendency is to rush from one thing to the next, I am to be mindful of the world around me and God's love in each moment. I need to take time to listen and be present to life.
  • When I am encouraged to think only of #1 and to be competitive in all aspects of life, Benedict encourages me to be #1 only in showing respect and love to others.
How am I called to be present to the world but not of the world today?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment